Website Security Checkup – July 2017
Keeping your website software up to date is probably the single most important step for a secure website. Out of date software can make it easier for hackers to find ways to break into your website. For more information, see Software Maintenance & Website Security.
WordPress & Joomla Release Summary
There were no WordPress releases in July.
Current release: 4.8 – Release date: June 8, 2017
More WordPress info
Quick overview of v4.8:
This release contains several feature updates including:
- Updated/new widgets for: Image, Video, Audio, Rich Text which simplify the process of adding and maintaining.
- Link Boundries – improved creation and handling of links in posts and pages.
- Nearby WordPress Events – is a new item added to the Dashboard to inform WordPress admins of WordPress events around their area.
Next scheduled release: 4.8.1, 2017
There were 2 Joomla releases in July:
Current release: 3.7.4 – NEW SECURITY RELEASE – Release date: July 25, 2017
Previous release: 3.7.3 – SECURITY RELEASE – Release date: July 4, 2017
More Joomla info
Quick overview of release 3.7.4:
- Security fix – Core – Installer: Lack of Ownership Verification (affecting Joomla! 1.0.0 through Joomla! 3.7.3)
- Security fix – Core – XSS Vulnerability (affecting Joomla! 1.5.0 through Joomla! 3.7.3)
- and over 50 bug fixes and improvements
Quick overview of release 3.7.3:
- Security fix – Core – Information Disclosure (affecting Joomla 1.7.3-3.7.2)
- Security fix – Core – XSS Vulnerability (affecting Joomla 1.7.3-3.7.2)
- Security fix – Core – XSS Vulnerability (affecting Joomla 1.5.0-3.6.5)
- and over 230 bug fixes and improvements
Next scheduled release: 3.8.0, 3rd Quarter 2017
SECURITY RELEASE means that security vulnerabilities have been found in the software and will be fixed by this release. To protect your site from hackers and malware, you should update to this release as soon as possible.
Trackback from your site.